Thursday, January 28, 2010

iPad Impressions

Today I am bringing you a special edition on the newly announced iPad from Apple. If you didn't realize Apple did this, then I'm just not sure....

I cannot offer a recommendation about this product, because I haven't had the chance to play with one. If you want to buy one and send it to me I am completely okay with that. I will provide a recommendation at that point :-)

**Update - Some useful information I have found about the iPad
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31322_3-10443887-256.html
http://lm.macworld.com/t/865500/7003017/50415/0/
http://lm.macworld.com/t/865500/7003017/50417/0/
http://lm.macworld.com/t/865500/7003017/50430/0/
http://lm.macworld.com/t/865500/7003017/50431/0/

Quick Summary
So Apple released a new device today called the iPad. Its a large iPhone with more power. It's got a 9.7" LED display that runs at 1024X768. Comes in a 16, 32, or 64GB model. It has a specially designed Apple A4 chip that runs at 1GHz. It does Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and 3G (which will cost 30$ a month). Its got a 10 hour battery (wow). It does multitouch and its only about 1.5lbs. Those are the tech specs.
It runs apps from the App Store. You can also get books from their new book store. Read newspapers and magazines. Watch movies and listen to music. Most of the applications have been redesigned and remade for the iPad. What this means is the Mail, Photos, iPod, and most of the other main apps are all more streamlined and specially designed for the touch interface. The result is the iPad is fast, fast, fast.
The iPad is targeted at current iPhone/iTouch users. The idea is you can pick it up and use it perfectly without any hiccups. As far as whether I think I would use one, I don't think so. Essentially its a big iPhone without the phone feature. And while browsing the web with my fingers is cool, I think that for most of what I do the iPad is just not the right tool. I think that due to the price point (499$, come on just make it 500$), lots of people will buy it just to play with it. I saw sales projections for somewhere between 1M-5M.

Things I Like
  • Looks cool 
  • Super fast
  • Newly designed chip (that's the EE dork in me)
  • Weight is low
  • 10 hour battery
Things I Don't Like
*so I have to say that as much as I think this is a cool product, I have a few major complaints.  
  • No multitasking. Seriously WTF, a brand new processor and everything and still you can't listen to pandora while browsing the web. I can do this with my android phone right now!
  • No camera. Once again, WTF?!
  • No HDMI out. In fact no out period, you have to buy an adapter, for E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. Even a USB. Even a HDMI. WTF?!
  • Go to this site for a longer list of complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment