Sunday, February 21, 2010

Foursquare Review

Quick Summary
Foursquare is a social application that you can use on your phone. You can use their mobile app on a iPhone, Android, Blackberry, Palm, or any other phone simply by texting. The idea is that you provide checkins to places that you go. So say I go to my local restaurant, checkin that I am there, then my friends can see that I am there.

You get "points" for providing checkins. You get "badges" for providing interesting checkins. The idea is that the more you do the more you unlock. So its kind of like a real life game, but by earning points you can become the "mayor" of a place, where the business will give you a discount or something similar when you show them that you are the mayor.

Foursquare is attempting to let you create your "urban mix tape" by keeping track of things you do and things you want to do. It also lets you find things near you that you might want to do. They aren't necessarily looking to be a review site, more like "Go to Barneys, get the avocado burger" (do it!).

You can sync the service to update your facebook profile and twitter account. So if your friends aren't using foursquare you can still update them about where you are.

What I Like

  • Essentially a location-based combination of Twitter and Yelp.
  • Lets you connect with and track friends. 
  • Combines a game element to the whole process.
  • Separates the concepts of "checkin" and "tip". The idea is that you may be at a place and then separately provide a tip about the place. 
What I Don't Like
  • Suffers from the network effect. If none of your friends are using it then what's the point.
  • Having to update at places I go to. Means I'll be selective. They have a quick checkin option that helps.
  • Telling my friends where I am all the time, although you can provide "off the grid" checkins. I am a little unclear how this is done. I think it has to do with not telling your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment