Thursday, February 4, 2010

Posterous Review

I  recommend this service to people looking to easily post content to the web and at the same time create a website.

Quick Summary
Posterous is an online service that allows you to post online to a blog that they create for you simply by emailing them. You can attach documents of many types (pretty much anything), including music, videos, docs, etc. The idea is that you only have to email them the post and they do the rest for you. They turn youtube links to videos, mp3's to podcasts, photos to slideshows, and text to well, text.

A cool thing is that you can email them a post and then they do reposting on a bunch of services automatically. So for instance, I email them my post (or use their website interface), then they post my thing on facebook, twitter, and any other service that I added (which they support).  Pretty convenient for sending out my stuff to many things at once, saves me some time.

You can also have a special URL point to the site. So for instance, I could buy jeffpatzer.com and have that  be the URL of my posterous site. The downside to this is that you have to buy the URL.

Essentially posterous is a combination of website creation, blog creation, document backup, social networking, and bookmarking. It's a lot to wrap your head around. I think how much you would find this service useful is how much control you want to have versus the ease with which to create something. While posterous is somewhat easy to use, it gives up some stuff that you could control were you monitoring your own site.

Things I Like

  • Easy to use. Easy to add your other social accounts.
  • Use as a backup service.
  • Creates a blog/website for you as you build your content up.
  • Can use google analytics with it.
Things I Don't Like
  • Tries to be a bunch of things for me, which means it takes a while to figure out how I would want to properly leverage the system. 
  • I lose some control that I have by using my own system for blogs/website stuff.
  • Their name makes me think of post it notes, not necessarily website building. 
***Oh and I'm going to try posting this through their service and see how it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment