Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Google Voice Review

**To sign up for google voice go to voice.google.com and add yourself to their invite list. You should get the invite fairly fast. Also, any phone and service can use voice.

Quick Summary

Google voice gives you a single number that you can use for all your phones. This number is tied to you, not a carrier or provider or location. (Confused yet?) Okay, so its like this. You sign up for google voice (actually you have to be invited) and then you get a inbox like view for phone messages. You can set it up such that you get google voice calls to your phone. Also your voice mails show up like email messages and you can have them sent to you as emails or texts. But with a slight variation (see the picture). It isn't really a phone service (although like Skype you can use it to do VOIP on your computer). Additionally, you can add rules for phones calling you by customizing ringtones or voicemail messages. Voice works great on your android phone by letting you call any domestic number (it will use your minutes so beware of that) for free, and calling international numbers for a nominal fee (like a few cents a minute). You can also send SMS for free.



What I Like

  • Cool features. Free. Lets you manage multiple phones (although I only have one...for now)
  • Cheap credit to call internationally and I can do it through my android phone (AWESOME!)
  • Get my messages emailed to me. 
  • Syncs with my phone, email, and all the other things Google has with which to control me. 

What I Don't Like

  • The voice transcription of my messages are not readable. I mean, its like a 2nd year old translated it. This needs to get way better before I fully switch to voice. 
  • Using Voice on my phone still uses my minutes. So, whats the point right?

No comments:

Post a Comment